Sunday, December 13, 2009

Another Long Delayed Post -- and a promise . . .

Well, it's been a while since I blogged about anything. There are a couple of reasons for this. First, I'm not sure that anyone is actually reading these things. Yes, I know that at least one person out there is following this blog, and whoever you are, a sincere "THANK YOU!"

But, much to my chagrin, I learned that even my dear wife, Tina, doesn't read my blog.

We were watching "Julie & Julia" (or is it "Julia & Julie"?) last night, and she turns to me and says, "you should blog for your business." To which I replied tersely, "I do."

"Oh," she said, "how do I find it?"

Ah, it's nice to know she cares.

Second, I feel like I must sound like a broken record. "Vaccines are bad." "The pharmaceutical companies are bad." "Meds are bad." "Nutrition is good." "Exercise is good." Blah, blah, blah.

Doesn't everybody know this already? And, if you don't, why would you listen to me?

Finally, this is all a bit discouraging. I LOVE my job. I love working with the kids. I love the creative process of designing and refining programs. I love writing. I love learning about this stuff. I love my staff, and the families with whom I work. I love seeing the progress my kids make.

Tina and I saved our son, Robert. I wrote a book about it. It is a good book that was almost published -- twice. But, both deals never fully materialized.

I wrote children's stories. I almost had a top-notch New York Agent represent me. But, that fell through, too.

I have a tremendous program that works. My kids get better!!

I thought that if I built a better mouse trap, the world would beat a path to my door.

I did. The world didn't.

I have discovered an ugly truth about business. It's not what you sell, it's how you sell it.

Ridiculous products, marketed correctly, sell. Pet rocks? Ginsu knives that can cut a can? Snuggies -- you know, the robe you put on backwards?

But, even the best products, marketed poorly, fail. Beta Max anyone?

Unfortunately, I am not a good salesman. I know this. I am an educator. Tina says I'm an advocate. I know my stuff. I am honest. I don't promise people miracles -- although sometimes miracles do happen . . .

That brings us to today. I've got a great program, but not nearly enough students. I like to write, but I've got no publisher. I've got things to say, but no one to say them to. I want to learn more, but who will teach me?

I am truly not sure what to do. But as Willie Mays said, no matter how good or bad things are, you just gotta keep on swinging.

So, I'll keep going.

And, I promise to start blogging regularly. At least once a week, even if I've got nothing to say.

Let's see where this leads . . .

PS For those interested in some good stuff on healthly living, nutrition, and natural medicine, check out Dr. Mercola's site www. mercola.com.

Till next time, be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment