Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Yoga, Meditation and The Spark Program

Did you see Part II in Newsday on April 10th?  Yoga and meditation, surprise, surprise, are good for you!

Tina and I are big fans of both, and we try to take a yoga class whenever we can.  While I initially thought yoga was just about stretching, I have discovered it is far more.  It is about control -- control of your breath, control of your body, control of your mind.  Being focused, allowing your body to find the pose -- not forcing your body into a pose -- concentrating on your breath, finding a balance, being in the moment.

And, it's hard!  I work out a lot, and I run, and I think I'm in pretty good shape, but I'm looking at the clock after thirty minutes and wondering when my hour long class is going to end because I'm beat!

So, what's this have to do with the Spark Program?  Well, if you look at martial arts, yoga, meditation, etc., you discover common threads.  Common movements, common goals.  Look at OT, look at programs like Brain Gym, and you see what's been "borrowed" from each discipline.

And that's why we incorporate breathing, balance and movement exercises like those used in all of these disciplines directly into the Spark Development Program.  Of course, we adjust each exercise to the skill level of our students, but in the end, the results are the same.  And, that's why Spark Development works!

No comments:

Post a Comment